What do I bring to the test?
If your vehicle has been registered in Arizona for more than a year, you will need only the following:
- The appropriate test fee | View testing Fees >
- Key for locking gas tank, if applicable
- For a retest after an initial failure, bring the original vehicle inspection report with repair information completed on the back (inspection station personnel are prohibited from retesting a vehicle without the completed information)
If your vehicle is being registered in Arizona for the first time, in addition to the above, you will need:
- The previous year vehicle registration, title or bill of sale
BE SURE YOUR VEHICLE IS READY
- Warm up the vehicle’s engine before you arrive
- An overheated engine may cause your vehicle to fail
- Turn off your air conditioner
- Please do not bring passengers or pets
- Trailers need to be removed from vehicles prior to entering the station property
- Vehicles must be able to enter the station under their own power
- OBD Vehicles must be in ready mode | Learn More >
BE SURE YOUR VEHICLE WILL PASS
These preparations can help your vehicle pass the test the first time!
- Fresh fuel, make sure your tank is at least ½ full
- Oil Change (dirty or deteriorated oil can cause higher emissions)
- Tune-up (fresh spark plugs, proper timing, proper RPM) and if applicable, plug wires and vacuum leaks
- Proper operating temperature (and correct thermostat)
- Make sure your “Check Engine” light is OFF, otherwise it will cause an emissions test failure.
WHEN YOU PASS THE TEST
Once your vehicle passes the emissions test, save time and renew your registration online at azmvdnow.gov. You may also renew at an MVD or Authorized Third Party office.